“Veresk” Active Jammer is intended to protect the aircraft of any types against precision radar-guided weapons.
For this purpose, “Veresk” Active Jammer generates active jamming signals to interfere with the work of fire control means of aircraft and Air Defense missile systems.
“Veresk” Active Jammer can be used independently or as a part of an airborne defense suit and ECM system.
“Veresk” Active Jammer is an active retransmitter. Its operating principle is as follows: the jammer receives radar-probing signals coming from enemy fire control means; analyses these signals; modifies their amplitude, frequency, phase and polarizing modulation and transmits the modified signal back.
The jamming is automatic. “Veresk” measures the parameters of the received probing signals generated by enemy fire control means and analyses electronic environment, recognizes the types of illuminating enemy radars and selects respective ECM.
Against any Air Defense system, “Veresk” Active Jammer generates multiple (if enemy radar is operating in a detection mode) and/ or single (if enemy radar is operating in a tracking mode) simulating/deceiving active jamming signals that are combined about the direction and selecting parameter (range and/or speed).
“Veresk” Active Jamming against different types of enemy fire control means results in:
• Delays when an enemy radar is trying to detect the protected aircraft;
• Hiding true aircraft by many false targets;
• Complications when an enemy radar is trying to find the true coordinates (range, speed, angular position) of the protected aircraft;
• Slow and complicated lock-on and tracking of the protected aircraft by enemy fire control means;
• Re-aiming of the tracking systems of enemy fire control means so that they track a false target;
• Loss of tracking of the protected aircraft.
“Veresk” is jamming enemy AD systems both at the stage of detection and lock-on and at the stage of tracking and after missile launch.
When defining the priority of the most dangerous enemy fire control means, it detects at first the radars that are operating in a tracking mode (continuous direction finding). As well, such radars are priority targets for jamming.
The most important advantage of “Veresk” countermeasure is effective suppression of angle-tracking channels, including direction finders, which work is based on the principles of monopulse angle measuring. Complex countermeasure on angle-tracking channels and velocity or/and range-tracking channels conduces retargeting tracking systems of radars on tracking false target making maneuver “spatial snake” with high probability of breaklock of protected aircraft on angular coordinates.
“Veresk” is imperceptible and can’t be detected by in-built tools of analyses and ECCM. Until the very last moment of jamming (until target breaklock), attacking crews are confident of tracking a real target.
“Veresk” works effectively against new and old air defense systems. It immediately adapts to all parameter changes of radar ranging signals.
The Active Jammer is fully compatible with airborne radar and other avionics equipment of the air-craft-carrier.
“Veresk” operation doesn’t place any restrictions on the tactics of air-craft-carrier, doesn’t demand aircraft flight formation in the course of group combat operation and doesn’t distract pilot’s attention on jamming while fulfilling flight mission.
Being installed on board of military aircraft “Veresk” doesn’t occupy hang-points of air weapons – pod design allows tucking under all airborne weapon provided for these hang-points. Installation of EW station on board of an aircraft doesn’t deteriorate its flying characteristics.
Installation of active jammer requires minimum modification of the carrier. There’s no need of integrating it into on-board equipment of an aircraft.
The system doesn’t require any special ground support equipment and is easy to operate. Flight information is recorded.
The system can be installed on military and civil planes and helicopters of different application and different producers.
The Active Jammer design is based on a modular principle and provides for distributed control computer system.
“Veresk” is easily modernized – its software allows adding jamming complexes for jamming new radars of fire control.
“Veresk” has respectively low power consumption, weight and dimensions (respectively smaller than those of existing analogs).
It’s planned to develop a number of active jammer modifications having different frequency range and different carrier type jamming different radars.
Effective work of “Veresk” is approved by flight test program with air defense weapons: SAM “Osa-AKM”, SAM “Buk”, fighter MiG-29.
Self-defense of aircrafts from air defense weapons by active jamming of fighter on-board radars, radar fire control of air defense missile systems, active and semi-active guided missiles with RF seekers.
• Operating frequency range – G, H, I, J;
• Signal intelligence receiver sensitivity – (–65..–55) dBm;
• Maximum transmitter power – min 40 dBm;
• Jamming type – masking and simulating active jams according to range, velocity and angle points of radar weapons control (including monopulse radars);
• Jamming sector in forward and aft hemisphere – ±45° in azimuth and ±30° in elevation;
• Simultaneous work in front and rear hemisphere is provided;
• In-flight mode – automatic (pilot’s attention isn’t distracted);
• Hang-points – pod design allows tucking under all standard weapons;
• EMC with on-board avionics equipment of aircraft-carrier;
• Run time – no less than 4 hours;
• Uptime after provision of power supply – max 1 minute;
• Time required to get results of technical condition from in-build control system – max 1 min minute;
• Power consumption – max 2000 W;
• Pod dimensions – ≈ 2400x200x300 mm (depend on type of an aircraft-carrier);
• Control panel dimensions – ≈ 140x160x56 mm (depend on type of an aircraft-carrier);
• Equipment weight without reference to pod weight – max 70 kg;
• Pod weight (1 pod) – max 80 kg (depend on type of an aircraft-carrier);
• Cockpit control panel weight – max 1 kg (depend on type of an aircraft-carrier).
Radar Threat Library (Targets of jamming):
• Fighter radars of aircraft types: MiG-23, MiG-25, MiG-29, MiG-31, Su-27, Su-30, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, Mirage-2000, EF-2000;
• Radars of weapon control of air defense missile systems: “Patriot”, “I-Hawk”, “Roland”, “Crotale”, “Gepard”, S-125, “Osa”, “Tor”, “Tunguska”, “Buk”, S-300P, S-300В;
• RF seekers of “air-to-air” missiles: R-27, R-33, R-37, R-77, RVV-AE, AIM-120 AMRAAM, AIM-7 “Sparrow”, AIM-54 “Phenix”, “Active Sky Flash”, “Matra Mica”, “Meteor”;
• RF seekers of surface-to-air missiles: MIM-23B (“I-Hawk”), 9М38 (“Buk”), 9М317 (“Buk”), MIM-104 (“Patriot”), 9М82 (S-300В), 9М83 (S-300В), 5В55 (S-300P).
Extension of Radar Threat Library is possible by software upgrade of digital control system.